The southeastern neighborhood of Prince’s Bay in Staten Island was named for William III, Prince of Orange. As with the rest of Staten Island, Native Americans were the first to settle in Prince’s Bay. As early as 6,000 years ago, Prince’s Bay has been a great place for oyster harvesting. During the 1700’s, planting and harvesting oysters was a significant occupation. It was so important, in fact, that “Prince’s Bay Oysters” would be sold as far as Europe and were actually items on seafood menus in London.
In 1929, the Wolfe Estate was sold to the City of New York, where many summer homes were constructed for vacationers. Four years after the purchase, residents began to protest, which resulted in the demolishing of the summer homes and the development of a park on the land. The park, which has been named Wolfe’s Pond Park, is surrounded by Holten Avenue, Chisolm Street, Luten Avenue, Cornelia Avenue, Raritan Bay, and the Staten Island Railway. About sixty years after its development, the park was reconstructed, this construction replaced the old features with better ones and added more shrubbery, drainage, lighting systems, and paths to the park. To the southeast of Wolfe’s Pond Park is Lemon Creek Park.
In 1962, the area below Hylan Boulevard, between Sharrott Avenue, Bayview Avenue, and Seguine Avenue, was developed into said park. Furthermore, located in the park is the Seguine Mansion, which was built in 1838 by Joseph H. Seguine. By the end of the century, the house served as a summer resort. It was later sold to relatives of Joseph Seguine, who sold it to George Burke in 1981. He, in turn, donated the house in 1989 to the city, who established it as a historic house within the park. Nearby is the Seguine Equestrian Center which offers horseback-riding lessons and has a stable which holds fourteen horses. In addition to these features, 105-acre Lemon Creek Park has an area Princes Bay for dog runs and a playground. The area is also home to the popular waterfront community of Captains Quarters. This townhouse development took shape in the late 1980’s, with community pools, clubhouse, tennis courts all part of the offering. They are also large modern luxury homes and older stately Victorians that make Princes Bay their home.
In 1881, the Samuel Stockton White Company of Philadelphia merged with the Johnston Brothers. This merge created the dental firm known as the Samuel Stockton White Dental Manufacturing Company. During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, this company was the largest manufacturer and inventor in their industry in the entire world. They manufactured dental instruments and chairs, appliances, and artificial teeth. In the 1970’s, the factory relocated to New Jersey, leaving their building vacant. At this time, the Prince’s Bay Trade Mart was built. Princes Bay borders the towns of Huguenot to the east Pleasant Plains to the west and Woodrow to the north.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.