Often described as an upscale community, Annadale sits on the South Shore of Staten Island.
During the late twentieth century, the construction of Annadale townhouses began. With this, Annadale was split and the southeast corner began to be known as “Southeast Annadale”. Down the road, builders started constructing detached custom houses instead of townhouses. See homes for sale on Nicolosi Dr. and Nicolosi Loop. In 1860, a railway station was built in the area, connecting it to what is now the Staten Island Railway. The treasurer of this railroad was Stephen Seguine, a Huguenot (or member of France’s Protestant church). Not too long after the station opened, it was named after Mr. Seguine’s wife, Anna Seguine.
In 1898, when Staten Island became one of the boroughs of New York City, the neighborhood itself used the name of the station and has since been known as Annadale.During the early 1700’s, most of the roads on Staten Island were given names. Many of them were named after the owners of the property or natural features of the area, such as Arbutus Road. Others, such as Road to Richmondtown, were named for the point to which they led. Seguine Avenue and Poillon Avenue were named after Huguenot family’s, who lived in the area. Immigrants from Spain purchased land on the shoreline in Annadale in 1923.For several decades, this secluded community was known as “Spanish Camp”.
In 2000, ancestors of the founders sold the property, which was demolished to make room for larger homes. During the 1990’s, one-quarter of the pre-existing buildings were constructed, giving Annadale more than 10,000 housing units in total. The neighborhood is represented in the New York City Council by its most famous resident, conservative commentator Joe Borelli, who has described the neighborhood as “a slice of heaven in New York City.”
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.